People’s Liberation Army deployed in the Taiwan Strait 490 aircraft (Figure)
Chinese Air Force major force distribution Source: U.S. Department of Defense U.S.” 2009 China Military Power Report “
Air Force and air defense forces. Mainland China from Taiwan in the scope of action without refueling deployed 490 combat aircraft, and has to accommodate several hundred fighters of the airport. Most of these fighters are improved by the old fighter made; However, the proportion of new advanced aircraft is gradually increasing. Although the PLA Navy may use aircraft to attack surface ships, but its ability to conduct air combat fighters over the sea, but in insufficient number of states. People’s Liberation Army Navy tactical combat aircraft in the majority of the older group of F-7/”fish bed” fighter and the F-8II/”fin” aircraft components. The interceptor does not have a place away from the airport in air combat capabilities. Order to carry out remote operations, the PLA Navy to form a composition of only 23 fighters Su-32MK2/”Flanker” fighter fleet.
* modern FB-7A fighter-bombers joined the Chinese Air Force has deployed a multi-purpose fighter and attack aircraft of the column, such as the F-10 and Su-30MKK fighters.
* China is upgrading its bomber fleet of B-6 (originally adapted by the Russian Tu-16 bomber formation), its variant with a new machine. Participate in combat, the fleet will be equipped with new long-range cruise missiles.
* Since 2006, the PLA Navy has taken delivery of eight battalions of the Russian-enhanced SA-20PMU-2 long-range (200 km) missile systems. Reported, SA-20 system can provide a limited ballistic missile and cruise missile defense capability. Russian media reports indicate that the next two years, Russia will deliver eight other sets of this type of system.
* China’s aviation industry is developing several types of airborne warning and control (AEW & C) aircraft. Including Y-8 transport aircraft developed from the basis of KJ-200, both for its airborne early warning and control, but also for maritime surveillance and intelligence gathering; in addition to A-50 aircraft in Russia on the basis of development came KJ-2000.
* News reports indicate that China is still interested in purchasing from the Russian Su-33 carrier-based fighter. In addition, another reported that Russia has re-started on China to buy 34 IL-76 transport aircraft and four IL-78 tanker negotiations. Although the two sides in 2005, reached $ 1.045 billion worth of purchase and sale agreement, but Russia has refused delivery of these aircraft, said aircraft manufacturing costs have increased, but also worried that China’s defense industrial sector may reverse engineering analysis of these aircraft for domestic aircraft production. Russia is trying to increase the price of these aircraft, $ 1.5 billion. China has no other access to larger aircraft in order to enhance military airborne warning and control channels.
ground forces: China’s ground forces have about 125 million, of which about 400,000 are deployed in at three military regions opposite Taiwan. Currently, China is to equip these forces of modern tanks, armored personnel carriers and artillery. Ground forces in the liberation of the Chinese people have received new equipment, about 200 98 and 99 third-generation main battle tanks, was assigned to the main in Beijing and Shenyang Military Region of the ground; In addition, the new equipment also includes a new generation amphibious combat vehicles (AAV), install a range of 130 km 12 200 mm rocket launch systems, and six 400 mm rocket launch system – reportedly has a range of 200 km.
PLA doctrine development
* 2008 July 7 edition of People’s Liberation Army announced a “Military Training and Evaluation Outline” (OMTE ), that is the People’s Liberation Army how to organize, implement and assess the authority of military training guide. In 2008, more than 150 branch’s Liberation Army troops participated in the “Military Training and Evaluation Outline” of the draft testing and validation, in early 2009, it became the army’s performance standards. The new “military training and assessment framework” emphasizes the reality of the training conditions in the electromagnetic environment and joint training, and make high-tech into the military structure. The latest version of the “Military Training and Evaluation Outline” the introduction of counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance/disaster relief and international peacekeeping and the new training requirements.
* as the People’s Liberation Army stress the importance of rigorous and realistic training to improve combat readiness of the part, the new “military training and assessment framework” but also to use the opposition (BLUEFOR, ie blue) for training methods and procedures are standardized. Blue seems to be semi-permanent team, the combination of multiple military services, equipment, tactics in order to simulate a foreign command procedures.
* from the U.S. military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, analysis and information technology research in China has learned, the PLA ground forces are changing the operational mode to discuss the issue. People’s Liberation Army on the ground war is the traditional definition of basic pattern and consumption for the purpose of destroying a wide range of attacks. The use of “information added firepower,” the new operational mode, it will be seen as ground forces within the joint force, a focus on the rapid occupation of key strategic objectives and the overall strength of stabilizing the situation in the battlefield. People’s Liberation Army a publication has pointed out: “fast and stable control of the occupation, has become the information age war the Army’s basic mission.”
* 2008 September and October, the People’s Liberation Army General Staff some other organized two exercises – “grind soldiers 2008″ and “United 2008″ military exercises, each from different military exercises by the troops. In fact, the military is not common among exercise, which highlights the efforts by forcing the PLA troops in unfamiliar terrain for action to improve flexibility and enhance the training of military authenticity of intent. Two exercises have emphasized the effective coordination and command of joint operations necessary training, as new “Military Training and Evaluation Outline”, as stipulated.
deterrence for Taiwan challenge
2008, the Taiwan Strait has not been armed neighborhood events, the overall situation in the region remains stable, as 2007 did. However, for Taiwan and mainland China’s military development and deployment of advanced military action and relaxation.
Recently, Taiwan, an anti-defense spending cuts over the past few years, the trend began to have a choice to modernize its military forces, and improve the overall emergency response training. Nevertheless, the balance of power toward the mainland is still favorable tilt.
* Taiwan continue to enhance its crisis management system, the implementation of military reform, to improve joint military capabilities and to modernize its equipment, to consolidate its defense.
* follow the “Taiwan Relations Act” provisions of the United States to Taiwan to continue to provide effective defense goods, services and training to help to ensure that they have enough to defend power. (Du Changjun)
Previous 1 2
Related Topics: U.S. report on Chinese military power released in 2009